This year I decided to join the 2017 Scrap Busting Craft Challenge. I have piles upon piles of fabric scraps and I wanted to do something nice with them. I don't believe in throwing away perfectly good material. I had been searching Pinterest for scrap busting inspiration for quite some time now, but never actually made something from my fabric scraps. When I had the opportunity to join the Scrap Busting Craft Challenge, I was all for it. I needed that extra push to get me motivated to finally put all my fabric scraps to good use. The idea of the challenge is to make a new project each month using a material of choice from our scrap fabric stash. This month I decided to feature small printed lightweight fabric pieces.
I had these chevron glitter headbands just sitting around, and I got the idea to make some embellished headbands. There are tons of ways to make fabric flowers, both easy and hard. Today, I'm going to show you how I made some really easy fabric flowers using little fabric scraps.
1. Mark where you are going to place your flower on your headband.
2. Find your scraps! I really love to mix and match prints.
3. Gather your first flower "petal" piece and gather it from the bottom. Now with some thread and a needle, sew a stitch to keep it together.
4. Take your second flower "petal" piece and gather it. Hold it tightly.
5. Take your second piece from above and place it next to the first piece. Carefully make a stitch to hold them both in place.
6. Keep doing the same thing until you have a flower.
7. Trim it if you like. I trimmed it to make it a little rounder. Don't worry about the middle. You can glue or sew on a button, another fabric flower, or some jewels. It's all up to you! I personally made some rosettes and added some buttons to the middle.
Here is the other little flower I made for the gold headband.
8. To finish off your flower, cut a small circle (smaller than your flower) and glue it on the back of your flower.
All done! Don't forget to check out the other participants projects for the 2017 Scrap Busting Challenge!