7.20.2014

"Hawaiian Summer Break" Dress Refashion

I went into a thrift store and got this dress for $2. I knew I was going to refashion it but I didn't know what I would do to it just yet. So as you can see, this dress started off having really poofy and big sleeves and it was short (did I mention it was in the children's section?). 


Anyways, operation modernization first began when I un-sewed the little pieces of tulle that were sewn on the sleeves to make them poofier. One can never have enough poof I guess. (P.S. I kept them for a future project!) 




Next, I cut off the sleeves so I could make new sleeves out of the old ones. 




Making sleeves is not hard at all! Just line up your fabric on the fold along the shoulder line, and use tailor's chalk to draw along the line of the armhole. Add about 1/4"-1/2" along this line to account for seam allowance. 

Below is the sleeve before and after when I cut it.


After I just sewed on the sleeves.



After that I just added in a panel and I was done! How to add a panel to lengthen a skirt tutorial can be found here.










2 comments :

  1. Hi Mary!
    Great refashion! The sleeves are much, much better, and the bottom white gives it lenght and freshnes it a bit!
    Kisses from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all the kind words on my posts. :) Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I couldn't figure out how to reply when I first got them hahaha! Greetings from California!

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished